Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Worst President Ever?

Don't have a lot of time to post today, but I want to pose a general question. Is George W. Bush the worst president of your life time? I've been alive for 10 presidents and will give my ratings for those 10. Now, I was only a child through the first 3 and didn't really understand what a president did until Nixon was in office, but I'm a bit of a history buff and have read significantly on all of these guys. The link above goes to a site called the History News Network and reports on a polling of some 400 plus historians. About 77% of them rate GWB as a failure. You can decide for yourself. My opinion is that he is worse than Nixon was.

My ratings on a scale of 1 being an absolute fuck-up to 5 being a terrific president. When I've got more time, I'll elaborate with detailed explanations for my ratings

Eisenhower - 3
JFK - 4
LBJ - 2
Nixon - 1.5
Ford - 3
Carter - 3
Reagan - 3
George Bush the Elder - 2
Bill Clinton - 3.5
George Bush the Younger - 1 - AFU

I rate Kennedy and Clinton as the highest because of the general success in policies and the administration. Though JFK's administration was cut short by assassination, his policies were continued by LBJ through the passage of the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts. LBJ gets a 2 because of Viet Nam. He would be a 4 had he not escalated the war. Nixon gets a 1.5 because of Viet Nam and his attempts to cover up Watergate. Otherwise he would be a 3 or 4. George Bush the Elder gets a 2 because George Bush the Younger is his son and I really hold that against the dad. Clinton's general success during his administration earns him a 3.5. The blow job under the desk and subsequent lies about it keep him from a 4 or 5.

What can I say about GB the Younger? Absolutely the worst in my lifetime. I'd sooner have one of the Marx brothers (not Karl) in office.

Tell me what you think,


Regards,

Dennis

1 comment:

  1. Though not particularly successful prezes, I give bonus points to Ford and Carter because they're easily the most honest prezes in my lifetime (1961).
    My biggest prob with Bush the Elder is allowing the neo-cons to take over the '92 Repub Convention.

    ReplyDelete