Thursday, August 10, 2006

Can We Get Rid of Religion?


Many will consider this post and subsequent posts on the topic heresy, but I am sick to death of religion. We have seen tragic examples of religious influence on the world stage for a long time. Since the attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001, the face of hatred and terror is one of an Islamic radical. Of course, not all who are members of the Muslim faith are interested in killing "infidels". However, the majority of religious based terror in the world today is spawned from the followers of Mohammed.

Islamic terror has not always been the only game in town, as evidenced by the actions of early Christians against non-Christians and indeed, the wars between Catholics and protestants in the 1500's overshadow the more recent "Islam against everyone" and the internal conflicts between the Sunni and Shia sects of Islam.

Judaism or perhaps Zionism, has been attributed to terrorist's actions by Muslims when discussing the plight of the Palestinians. So, here they are, the big three Abrahamic religions. All spawned from the same "father", worshiping the same "God" with histories of violence, persecution and terror.

Over the next few months, I will be posting in detail about religious war, influence and general harm against humanity. If anything devised by humans can be attributed to more destruction, sorrow and pain that religion, I've yet to find it.

This will not be an invective against "God" or spirituality. I'm not going to promote atheism. I don't know factually whether this a god or not. I don't know if there are one or many gods. I don't care. I do believe there is a power out there, and whether it takes on humanistic characteristics is a topic of debate. This series of essays will be an attack on religion in the main. I'm sick to death of violence, bigotry, intolerance and evil being performed in the name of one religion or another. It's time to stop it. I'll hope to explain my thoughts and convince you adopt my point of view in the coming months.

I really want to see feedback from you on this topic. Tell me what you think.


Regards,


Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment