The following letter was written by the Founder and President of Vote Out Incumbents for Democracy or VOID. The letter provides a dramatic and forceful message to our congressional representatives that "we the people" have had enough of the corruption in Washington and are activating a movement to remove the incumbents unless we see substantive changes in behavior. Please look at the letter and use the content to write your own letter to your specific representative or senator. We have an opportunity as the voting public to get control of our government again. However, to do so, we must take action. Writing and calling your representatives is a start. The message must be forceful. Let them know that unless they change their behavior and become more transparent and representative of their consituents, they will get FIRED. Many thanks to David Remer, President of VOID for the content.
Here's the letter:
Dear Senator or Representative.
I have watched our government being sold to the highest bidder for decades. I have seen incumbents from both parties work tirelessly to preserve the legal graft and purchase of votes by wealthy donors and lobbyists, shutting out the voice of average American voters on issue after issue.
The scandals currently rocking D.C., you and I both know, represent only the tip of the ice berg where money influences legislation is concerned. We voters in America have an agenda we agree on by a huge multi-partisan majority. That agenda includes fiscal responsibility which will preserve prosperity for our children, roads to peace, not war, which increase the prospects of peace for our children, and freedom to conduct our lives responsibly in America without government intrusion, spying, and secret activities overseeing our private lives.
But this agenda of the American people of peace, prosperity and liberty is not backed by 100's of millions of dollars in annaul graft, and so it is an agenda you incumbents in Washington lose sight of. Enough is enough.
I have joined with other voters, Republicans, Democrats, Greens, Libertarians and independents who are all committed to voting out incumbents for as many election cycles as it takes in order to restore responsible government. To restore government that takes its direction from the average working Americans, and not the wealthy corporations, campaign donors, and special interest lobbyists is our goal.
We finally get it. The incumbents are preserving this corrupt system for themselves, and we are committed to addressing the problem at its source. So, you have a choice, change your bribed ways of legislating or face a growing tide of anti-incumbent voters who care less about party than they do about ending the legal and illegal influence of money over legislation.
We are not opposed to campaign contributions or lobbyists. We are opposed to the incumbents who permit those small numbers of wealthy contributors to trump the people's agenda for a prosperous, peaceful, and free future for our children. Our organization is called Vote Out Incumbents for Democracy and we are here to stay and grow throughout the country until you are gone from Congress or, change your ways of voting to work for our agenda instead of that of the special interests.
You have a difficult choice. Acknowledge the American people's agenda and fight for it in Congress, or we will continue in growing numbers to vote out incumbents until their replacements finally get it and work exclusively for our children's future, all of America's people in bi-partisan fashion, and against corruption and bribery both legal and illegal.
Here are actions on your part we will look for in the coming months.
* Create an Independent Ethics Commission to investigate congressional ethics misconduct by all parties.
* Prohibit Members of Congress and their staffs from accepting gifts from registered lobbyists. Ban all privately financed Congressional travel. If the trip is important enough for a Member to make, it is important enough to be publicly financed and let the people determine if their money was well spent or not.
* End the campaign money chase that is at the core of the current scandal and robs the people of their representatives time spent on the American people's common agenda, peace, prosperity, and liberty in America for Americans. Publicly-funded, clean election reform for congressional campaigns is critical to restoring responsibility by Congress to the voting public.
* Stop members of Congress and senior staff from immediately taking jobs as lobbyists once they leave public service. Install a 5 year ban on this practice to end the motivation for running for Congress in order to become a wealthy lobbyist. The American people don't elect their representatives to promote their bank accounts and financial status upon leaving office for a lucrative lobbying position.
* Real transparency and real-time reporting of lobbying contacts and real enforcement of disclosure rules by incumbents is required to get our votes in the future.
You have a decision to make: work for us, we the people, or continue to work for the highest bidders and contributors to your financial wealth. We are watching, and we will respond accordingly in 2006, 2008, 2010, and beyond if necessary.
(Your Name), Active and informed Voter...
Let's get busy folks, we have some housecleaning to do.
Let me know what you think.